Home

NOTICE: MANDATORY WEBSITE UPGRADE IN PROGRESS. WEBSITE IS OUT OF ORDER UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.

ALL PUBLIC NOTICES WILL BE POSTED AT CITY HALL UNTIL WEBSITE IS REPAIRED.

PLEASE CONTACT CITY HALL AT (208) 464-2222 M-F 9am-1pm for current information.



CITY OF PIERCE

Pierce, Idaho

The first discovery of gold in Idaho (known then as Washington Territory) was made by Elias D. Pierce and Wilbur F. Bassett on Orofino Creek (also called Canal Gulch) in October of 1860 about a mile north of the current City of Pierce.

Pierce was the first county seat for Shoshone County which was established in January of 1861 in Washington Territory which used to include most of present-day Idaho and Wyoming. Idaho Territory was established in 1863 and the County seat was moved north to the Silver Valley in Murray in 1884, and then to Wallace in 1898. Present-day Clearwater County formed in 1911 and was part of Shoshone County until 1904 when it was annexed by Nez Perce County.

Pierce Courthouse was constructed in 1862 and is Idaho's oldest public building. The J.H. Bradbury Logging Museum is located on Main Street in Pierce and hosts some of the regions important logging history. Several other notable historic sites around The City of Pierce include: Chinese Hanging, Chinese Cemetery, Weippe Historical Museum, Clearwater Historical Museum (in Orofino), and many other notable locations.

Modern day Pierce is home to the National Guard Idaho Youth ChalleNGe Academy.

Site Updated: 01/14/2020